After sharing my basic smoothie recipe last time, and proclaiming that I don’t usually make fruity smoothies, of course I ended up indulging in just that for three days straight, because I ran short on groceries and had to make due with what I had!
This is still a greens based smoothie at heart, but it’s definitely on the fruitier side. I managed to score a huge case of organic strawberries on sale at Costco, so this was a great way to use them up before they spoiled. And the spinach was supposed to be part of a dinner dish, but since I ran out of all my other leafy things after a midweek juicing marathon, I resorted to using it as the greens for this smoothie. I figured this would be an easy pairing, and I’m pretty pleased with the result.
STRAWBERRY SPINACH SMOOTHIE
Serves 2 (about 40 ounces)
- Place 12 ounces of coconut water into blender
- Add 1 or 2 tablespoons each of chia seeds, ground flax meal, and hemp seeds
- Add 2 big handfuls of raw spinach
- Add 2 handfuls of strawberries
- Add 1 frozen banana
- Add a splash of lime juice
- Add filtered water until the ingredients are just covered
Please share your “make due” recipe successes in the comments below.
Or email me if you want to submit your recipe for consideration to be featured here on the blog.
Have a great week!